Monday, August 20, 2007

8/20/2007

8/20/2007

Jeremiah 23:30-40 (NRSV)
False prophets
See, therefore, I am against the prophets, says the Lord, who steal my words
from one another. See, I am against the prophets, says the Lord, who use their
own tongues and say, "Says the Lord." See, I am against those who prophesy
lying dreams, says the Lord, and who tell them, and who lead my people astray
by their lies and their recklessness, when I did not send them or appoint them;
so they do not profit this people at all, says the Lord.
When this people, or a prophet, or a priest asks you, "What is the burden of
the Lord?" you shall say to them, "You are the burden, and I will cast you off, says
the Lord." And as for the prophet, priest, or the people who say, "The burden
of the Lord," I will punish them and their households. Thus shall you say to one
another, among yourselves, "What has the Lord answered?" or "What has the
Lord spoken?" But "the burden of the Lord" you shall mention no more, for the
burden is everyone's own word, and so you pervert the words of the living God,
the Lord of hosts, our God. Thus you shall ask the prophet, "What has the Lord
answered you?" or "What has the Lord spoken?" But if you say, "the burden of
the Lord," thus says the Lord: Because you have said these words, "the burden
of the Lord," when I sent to you, saying, You shall not say, "the burden of the
Lord," therefore, I will surely lift you up and cast you away from my presence,
you and the city that I gave to you and your ancestors. And I will bring upon you
everlasting disgrace and perpetual shame, which shall not be forgotten

No comments: